Upon the Governor’s directive that schools will remain with Distance Learning for the rest of the 19-20 school year, the MSHSL has cancelled all Athletic and Fine Arts Spring Activities.
It is with sadness and empathy that I reach out, first to our senior class, and then to all performers of all grades, who have been diligently waiting to play and perform in the activity they love. Our coaches and directors will continue to reach out and do their best to offer opportunities for students to stay connected both with their chosen activity, but also their friends and teammates through Distance Coaching.
Our main focus now is to ensure our students have support during these frustrating times where dreams for the 2020 Spring season have vanished. As the Fridley Activities Director, I want students and families to know we have not forgotten about you, and we are working to find ways to help students stay engaged and realize that we will be working with students to create the positive mindset needed to make the most of this new way of learning. As competitors, we know that the sure way of knowing you will lose is to give up. As Fridley Tigers, we will not do that.
I ask all our Fridley students and families to challenge yourself and each other with questions like these:
- What good can I find in myself that I can share with others?
- Where can I find fun in this different way of life?
- What is something I always wanted to do and never had/or made time for it?
- What would it look like if I chose to improve in something by the end of the school year?
Moving forward, below is a list of what will happen for students and families:
- We will continue our Theme of the Week for Spring Sports until the end of school.
- Activities Awards will be part of the Senior Awards night on May 14.
- Students may earn a Varsity Spring Activity letter if they stay consistently engaged with their team and coaches.
- Stay tuned. Sue and I, and our coaches, will continue to be creative and share ways to keep us engaged and improving. We WON’T BACK DOWN and neither will you.
Go Tigers! – Mr. Roff